Sensory Play



Young children learn with all of their senses by touching, tasting, smelling, seeing and hearing. Sensory play contributes to brain development increasing all areas of learning. Children increase fine motor development as they manipulate the tools. When children engage in sensory experiences they are using scientific processes to explore and learn about the world around them. They are making predictions, testing and re-testing. They count, sort, and group objects and use rich language as they join in conversations and describe what they are doing.





"This smells like pumpkin pancakes. I get them at Dysarts and my mom makes them at home"


"If we scoop all the goop up I bet it will fill this cup"


"I am like mud-man!"

"I am going to sort all my favorite colors"

"This is a cake I am baking for my mom. I add the water, then I add just one scoop of the sugar"





"The candies are getting smaller and smaller!"

"When I mix these all together they got holes in them"